Sunday, April 10, 2011

How Good Is The Evo For Vacation?

I have to admit that I have a lot of toys. I have the HD camcorder. I have the Sony DSLR with enough lenses to make you do a double-take. I have the portable hard drives, the laptop and the professional level gear that makes people look at me funny at the zoo too. But then I got my EVO, and this is why most of it stays at home now.

The first image you are looking at is an image taken with the EVO of the Pike Place Market in Seattle. The image was shot in color, then edited – on the EVO – in PicSayPro. PicSayPro was the free Amazon App of the Day a few days ago so I thought I’d put this to the test. So, the color image above was taken to black and white and used the Pop Colors effect to make the neon in the sign appear.

This image was taken while on a photo shoot with our professional gear. We met a family at the Snoqualmie Railway Museum and began shooting. After we wrapped up, I took a simple snapshot with my EVO and then started the editing. The antique look of this when it was finished made it look like a beautiful image from the 1800’s, not from a cell phone camera.

Probably the most common question I get is how well does the EVO handle people. Well, with a bit of fun, you can even make your toddler stand out in a field of bright yellow flowers. By once again, using the Pop Colors effect, the entire image is flipped to black and white. Simply tracing over the child in the image, her colors come back to life and she stands out of what was a very busy image.

The last image was taken at the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. This was simply a ground level shot of the daffodils that were in bloom early on. While there wasn’t anything special about it, by dropping the vantage point below the flowers, it makes them the dominant part of the photo. By increasing the saturation, contrast and adding a dark vignette, it took a normal image and made it extraordinary. The contrast and saturation adjustment can be made from your EVO’s main menu in the camera app.

So, while the EVO might not replace a full array of professional gear, you can certainly make do with it in a pinch. Plus, with applications like PicSayPro on board, you can even edit your snapshots into something more fun – and post them right to your Facebook page or photo-sharing account.

No comments:

Post a Comment