Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting The Most From Microsoft Skydrive

One topic that has been getting so much press lately is the 'cloud' services that are coming on board. Amazon's Cloud service allows 5GB of online storage for no charge, with options to purchase more. ZumoDrive offers 2GB's after completing a tutorial. Dropbox, probably the most popular option for Android devices, includes 1GB free and 250MB for every person your refer as well. There are various other serivces, but one that stands out is Microsoft's Skydrive service.


Skydrive offers a whopping 25GB of online storage, and from your PC, you can edit Office documents, view photos and more. After having the amazing experience of Skydrive on an HTC Surround for 2 weeks, I really began to miss my old 'Hotmail' pal and wanted to find new options for accessing my 10 year old photos and older online documents. Sure, Gdocs does a great job for me now, but the history of my content on Skydrive goes way deeper - and is too much to transfer over. Plus, Google only gives me 1GB of online storage without paying the $5 a year for 20GB. Call me cheap, but I like free better.

So my search led me to Sorami's Skydrive Beta app that accesses my Microsoft Skydrive and brings up a file manager of the folder. It allows basic access to the files, download access and upload access to is just a press away. With additional programs like DataViz's Documents to Go, you can actually download, open, edit and reupload your changes to your Skydrive right from your Android powered EVO.

The program still has a few bugs, but it's free and in beta mode so we don't expect perfection. Overall, for the added bonus of 25GB of storage on your EVO, this program is a no brainer. Our hats are off to Sorami and their team on this one.

Available in the Android Market (FREE)

No comments:

Post a Comment